Chashama is pleased to announce a partnership with the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) to create a free studio residency program!
The Roosevelt Island Studio Residency program, launching in early 2020, features free 6-month studio residencies for 5 artists at a time. Each session includes:
- A free studio for 6 months with wifi, storage, and a shared bathroom and kitchenette.
- Studio visits 2-3 times per session from curators, critics, gallerists, residency directors from NY and other art professionals.
- An Open Studio event that is open to the general public.
- At the end, a group show curated by Chashama at one of our exhibition spaces in New York City.
The artists-in-residence will be selected by a panel of Chashama staff and RIVAA from Roosevelt Island. Priority will be given to residents of Roosevelt Island and artists with a strong connection to the island. Selection will be based on merit, commitment to working a minimum of 12 hours a week in the studio, and desire to use this opportunity to propel your art practice or career. Semi-finalists will be called for a phone interview before final decisions are made.
What You Should Know Before Applying:
- Additional costs: All workspaces require a refundable $300 deposit.
- Prohibited Materials and Processes: Some materials and processes are not suited to our spaces. Please see this PDF for a list of prohibited materials and processes; this list is subject to change, with warning.
- Eligibility: You must be 18 years or older to apply, be a U.S. Citizen, or have a valid visa longer than 6 months.
- Work Samples: Samples must reflect the work you’re proposing to do in the studios.
Materials You Will Need For Applying:
- CV in PDF form
- Social Media Links
- Artist Statement (500 words or less)
- A description of your art-making materials and processes
- Your studio needs
- Short paragraph: How will this residency help propel your art practice or career?
- Short paragraph: How many hours a week can you commit to this program? What other major commitments do you have over the next year?
- 5 images of recent work (.jpg, .png, .tiff: these may be stills from video work). If submitting video work, please link to externally hosted videos.
- Cycle(s) you would like to be considered for (March 2020 - August 2020, and/or September 2020 - February 2021)