Thank you for your interest in Chashama’s Space to Create Program
. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and will be kept on file for one year as Chashama actively attempts to place you in a studio.
After one year, applicants should submit a new applications. In rare cases, Chashama will contact an applicant more than a year after submission.What You Should Know Before Applying:
- Application materials will not be returned. Incomplete, faxed or emailed applications will not be reviewed. Chashama is not responsible for lost or misdirected applications.
- Time period: Due to the temporary nature of Chashama's spaces, all workspace agreements between the artist and Chashama are month to month.Nevertheless, Chashama has held workspaces in some locations for over ten years. Artists in good standing with Chashama have the option to renew their workspace annually, or withdraw from the program at any time after giving one month's notice.
- Size: Chashama's workspaces range from 90 sq ft to 700 sq ft, but the average size is 400 sq ft or less.
- Cost: Workspaces cost approximately $1 - $2.50 per square foot per month. The price is based on location and amenities.
- Additional costs: All workspaces require a refundable $300 deposit.
- Chashama's Spaces to Create are communal; most of our workspaces have no doors.
- Prohibited Materials and Processes: Due to the open floorplan, some materials and processes are not suited to our spaces. Please see this PDF for a list of prohibited materials and processes; this list is subject to change, with warning.
- Eligibility: You must be 18 years or older to apply, be a U.S. Citizen, or have a valid visa longer than 6 months.
- Work Samples: Samples must reflect the work you’re proposing to do in the studios.
- Chashama's workspaces are not live-work or storage space. Also, workspaces are not transferable to other artists.
- There is a wait-list. However, as each applicant has different workspace needs, not all applications occurs in chronological order of application date.
- Organizations: if your organization whishes to apply on behalf of an artist for a workspace, please designate one person as the applicant on behalf of the organization.
- Groups: two or more collaborative artists may apply together to share a space.
- Chashama is a community; we request that our Space to Create artists support Chashama by engaging with us on social media and sharing their contact list.
Materials You Will Need For Applying:
- CV in PDF form
- A description of your art-making materials
- Your studio needs
- Artist Statement (1500 words or less)
- 5 images of recent work (.jpg, .png, .tiff: these may be stills from video work). If submitting video work, please link to externally hosted videos.